Listen live every Sunday from 3-4pm at www.accesssacramento.org
Excerpt from the Sunday, March 24th episode:
The following are some questions to ask yourself when deciding which ginseng is right for you.
Ren Shen: Panax (Korean red) Ginseng/Cooling,White (Chinese, raw form)/Stimulant/Qi Tonic
- Are you chronically weak?
- Do you have slow metabolism?
- Do you have low blood pressure?
- Are you overweight, with global water retention?
- Is your tongue large, pale, puffy, and scalloped?
- Are you frequently short of breath?
- Do you feel low enthusiasm or experience sexual fatigue?
Xi Yang Shen: American Ginseng/Moistening/Cooling/White/Qi & Yin Tonic
- Do you need more saliva? Are you often thirsty?
- Is your skin dry and parched?
- Do you have chronic fever, menopausal hot flashes?
- Do you smoke, or take drying acne medications?
- Have you recently had a fever and now need moisturizing?
Dang Shen: Codonopsis (“Poor Man’s Ginseng”)/Qi tonic/Neutral/White
- Do you have chronic diarrhea?
- Do your legs feel weak or frail?
- Do you have vaginal bleeding related to fatigue?
- Do you have prolapsed uterus or rectum after surgery or illness?
- Do you have frequent colds or allergies?
Wu Cha Seng: Siberian (Eleuthero) Ginseng/ Nerve tonic/Slightly Warming/Red
- Are you nervous and insomniac?
- Are you very anxious?
- Are you under tremendous stress?
- Do you get tired and cranky from very hot or cold weather?
- Do you have menopausal irritability?
- Do you get tired from exercise or work, and become unable to rest?
San qi: PseudoGinseng/Circulation invigoration/Stops bleeding/Warming/Black
- Do you have bruises, swelling, or pain from injury?
- Do you have chronic chest pains from poor circulation?
- Is your cholesterol count high?
- Are you anemic, with Internal Cold symptoms?
- Do you have colitis? Bleeding gums? Heavy, painful menstrual bleeding with dark, purple clots? (contraindicated in menstrual blood that is bright red with small loose clots)